Thursday 4 September 2014

Mediterranean Cous Cous

Mediterranean Cous Cous.

I was thinking about a flavoursome cous cous for The Great Australian BBQ, when my Mum-in-law told me about these ingredients my nieces used.

Semi-dried Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives & Lemon Juice. I decided to try this & to my delight the Cous Cous was delicious
Ingredients: 
1 cup of cous cous
100 gr semi-dried tomatoes
100 gr Kalamata olives
1 lemon
1 cup water

     Instructions: 
Step #1. Prepare all ingredients 
I use scissors to chop semi-dried tomatoes, not 'cos I'm a hairdresser, because it's easier. Slice Olives & squeeze lemon.

Step #2. Boil 1 cup water & pour it into 1 cup of cous cous, stirring then cover. Stand for 2-3 mins until the water is absorbed & cous cous is tender.Stir at this point so it doesn't form in lumps. 

Step #3. Mix in Olives & Tomatoes, then the Lemon Juice. I garnished the dish with a strip of lemon.

When I cooked this in the competition, the semi-dried tomatoes coloured the cous cous red. In the competition due to a heat issue, the dish was a little soggy, as I added more water, but the one I prepared at home was perfect. The flavours in the cous cous were complimented though.  

Tip. Use the correct water ratio per cous cous.

2 comments:

  1. I love couscous but it's been ages since I cooked it. Think I'll have to make it again soon. These flavours look like winners. Thanks for linking with I'm Pinning Around.
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda! I’ve just been going over my recipes & found your comment! Thanks for your encouraging words! I’m going to Putia with Chef Dominique Rizzo next week to learn more about Mauritian Food!

    ReplyDelete