Sunday 27 April 2014

Kerry's Fried Rice

   

This is the recipe I watched my dad cook as a child, he taught me how to cook this many years ago.

 I prepare all my vegetables, depends what I have in the fridge or pantry. A great addition to the pantry is packets of Dried peas. Not the split peas meant  for soups. Dehydrated Peas, though frozen peas are great also. I like to have can of corn in the cupboard as well. I have a supply of stock cubes, rice, soy sauce, salt, pepper & if the family likes the flavour, 5 spices. Dad didn't add stock cubes, I add them sometimes for added flavour.
 Ingredients: In this recipe I used
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 diced onion,
1/2 diced capsicum
1 grated carrot
1 chopped shallot
1 can of corn
2 cups of long grain rice
                                                      soy sauce, 2 stock cubes, salt & pepper to taste.
                                                      some vegetable oil to fry rice & a jug of boiled water.
Step #1. Prepare ingredients

Step #2. Add a little oil to pan, fry the crispier veggies first, onion, capsicum, garlic adding the other veggies in turn. I add the grated carrot & shallots at the end of cooking. Remove the veggies from pan. 

  Step #3. Add some oil to hot pan, then add in rice, stirring until lightly browned. Next step is to add some of the boiled water gradually to pan. Stir & let the rice absorb the water, adding more water as it is absorbed. I add the stock cubes, salt & soy sauce at this stage. As the rice becomes tender, I put the lid on to allow the moisture be absorbed. The rice shouldn't be soggy & have a slightly nutty texture. 



 Step #3. Mix the vegetables into the rice, topping with some of the green shallots leaves. You can also use fried onions for more flavour & texture. 



 Adding 5 spices will give a more authentic Asian Flavour. I've always used long grain rice for Fried Rice.
I find boiling long grain rice & storing for the next day, can  leave the rice very dry & not very edible. It does moisten if I use it to make a fried rice using the method of adding cooked rice into the oil, adding soy sauce, seasoning & vegetables.

I cooked some Honey Soy Chicken Drumstick in the oven to be served with the Rice.

Jaimi's my in-house Critic today!

Fried Rice is a great meal to prepare ahead of time. Great for parties, snacks, lunch boxes & tomorrow nights dinner. Hope you enjoy cooking it, using whatever you have in stock or to the families tastes.

2 comments: